Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Five Foods You Really Must Try

I've been tagged by Lotus Reads. The foods she's listed are so exotic and sound so yummy. Mine are going to be much more mundane, but definitely family favorites.

1. Hamburger Rolls: This is a recipe from my grandmother, that my mother, my daughter and I still make regularly. I grew up on this delicious main dish. And it's so easy to make. Make up a batch of bisquits (we use bisquick). Roll the dough into a rectangle, about 10 x14 " or so. Crumble raw hamburger over rectangel except for one long edge. Pat hamburger down a bit. Sprinkle with salt and grated Parmesan cheese. Roll up, jelly roll style. Slice every 3/4", lay rolls on cookie sheet. Bake at 400* for 20-25 min, until golden brown. Serve with 1 can cream of mushroom soup diluted with 1/4-1/2 Cup milk. Also, drizzle ketchup over the sauce.

2. Cream Tuna on Crackers: Already you are all feeling sorry for my family, right? The reason I'm including this is because you shouldn't knock it til you try it. Make a white cream sauce, seasoned with salt and pepper. Add tuna. Serve over Ritz crackers or toast.

3. Summer Squash Sandwich: This is a recipe I created this summer. My daughter has requested it 3 times since. All three of us love it, but I haven't served it to anyone else so if you decide to try it you do so on limited recommendations. If you like veggie sandwiches and squash, I think you'd like this. You'll find the recipe here.

4. Naimo Bars: Over 35-yrs-ago a housewife from Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, Canada submitted a recipe for these delicious chocolate bars. The recipe won a prize. I was given this recipe years ago from a neighbor. Now they are an annual Christamas treat at our house. A few summers ago Myke and I ate nanaimo bars in the quaint little village of Nanaimo. Indescribable experience. You can find the recipe here.

5. Tuxedo Brownies: Worth the cost - every penny! I found this recipe only 2 years ago in a Pampered Chef cookbook. You make a store-bought brownie mix. Spread some raspberry jam on top. Then fresh raspberries (or frozen). If you're lucky to get raspberries from Bear Lake, it will be just that much tastier. Then you top it with a creamy mixture of Cool Whip, melted white chocolate and cream cheese. Delicious.

10 comments:

Myke Weber said...

All are a must! This from one who's feasted on them all.

Lotus Reads said...

Booklogged, I am drooling soooo much, I am finding it difficult to type! :) ALL of the foods you've picked sound so delicious and thank you so much for including recipes!!! I am definitely going to have to try the hamburger roll, the brownies (my children will thank you) and the cream tuna on crackers! Yum,Yum,YUM! Thanks so much for doing the meme.

Melissa said...

How DO you make Naimo bars without the custard powder. A Canadian friend gave us the recipe years back, too, but I've never been able to make them right, because we're missing the custard powder. HELP!

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

They all sound like great recipes to go with a good book & perhaps a spot of fishing, Booklogged!
Truly Myke is a blessed man!

God Bless

Booklogged said...

Lotus and Susan, you are both too kind with your remarks.

Melissa, I replace the custard with Vanilla Pudding mix, probably instant. In fact, my recipe is somewhat different from the one on the Nanaimo site.

julie said...

Oooh! I love the new design! Someday you'll have to teach me how you do all the fun things. All I've figured out (thanks to Cardine) is how to change the colors. We'll have to have a blog design tutorial the next time we get together. :)

jenclair said...

Finally posted my choices...even made the banana bread yesterday!

Framed said...

Julie, can I come to the class. I love the new look, but I want something that is easy to do. Like pick an easy format from Blogspot and run with it.

Book, you keep mentioning hamburger rolls. I really need to make these again. What great memeories. Maybe next time the kids visit.

Anonymous said...

I can't even look at an Nanaimo bar without feeling queasy. Years ago, when I was only 8 or 9, my brother, sister and I got food poisoning and spent the night competing for the toilet so we could throw up. The culprit? A pan of Nanaimo bars we bought from the local grocery store. Even now, I can't stand the sight of them. Now if only I could teach myself to have that reaction to all the things I *shouldn't* be eating, I'd have no problem sticking to any diet! :)

Booklogged said...

Ohhh, Kristina, that is such a sad story. I do worry about making Nanaimo bars because they have raw egg in them. Now I'll worry more.