Saturday, January 19, 2008

Chicken Pot Pies

I wish I could say I made this magnificent-looking chicken pot pie, but I can gladly say that I ate it! Candleman has been cooking for years and now that he has retired he has more time and inclination to experiment with fresh herbs and exotic foods. It hasn't hurt that I enjoy watching the cooking channel, which he's sat down and watched a few times with me.

I've been on the look out for the last couple of years for a really good chicken pot pie recipe. I've mentioned it to him and he put in on one of those back burners in his head. Every once in awhile he would mention something or I would that would be good in a pot pie. This last year for our Thanksgiving pies I decided to buy Pillsbury refrigerated pastry sheets. He loved the taste of them and decided they would be the perfect crust for pot pies.

Last week Candleman up and decided it was time to give it a go. I just stayed out of his way. When he brought one of these golden beauties into the family room for me to eat, I was astounded at how delicious it looked and then I marveled, bite after bite, at the glorious taste.

I am amazed that he could just imagine what ingredients to put together to get such scrumptious flavor. And I'm a bit bewildered because I always thought I was the cook of the family. It's not a fluke that most great chefs are men. Lest you think I'm complaining - I'm not. I always dreamed of being married to a chef and now I am! Didn't even need to change husbands. Isn't life full of surprises?!

So with this cooking success under his belt, as well as a few others, Candleman has started a blog about food. I have been begging him to write down his bean soup recipe and now his chicken pot pie recipe, so he did in his blog. Check it out at Fiddling With My Food. There's witty food commentary as well as 2 (so far) delicious recipes.

5 comments:

Alyson said...

This is now the third time I've seen a picture of this chicken pot pie (on three different sites). Are you guys trying to torture me? I'm going to request right now that Dad makes these next time I come to visit.

Myke Weber said...

Awww, how sweet. I'll have to make you some more. I'd love to show them off to Aly too.

Cassie said...

Another blog? I don't know if I can handle it. I'm already trying to weed out the best ones from the thirty or so in my favorites. Hope it makes the cut.

Cassie said...

Oh and the chicken pot pie does look really good.

Framed said...

Mmmm, comfort food.